Search This Blog

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Lazy Natural: A week in the life of the conditioner and coconut oil only wash and go

Wash day hair
So it's wash day.  What to do with this matted mess of hair.  So for the last 8 months I have been doing the curly girl method.  So my curly girl guru +Tia is able to do a wash and go using only conditioner and coconut oil.  Let's give that a whirl!!!
First, I detangled using the breakdown method learned from +Jenell.  It was super easy.  I simply sectioned my hair into 4. Spraying each section with a mixture of conditioner and water, I first finger detangled and then with my wide tooth comb and Denman brush.  No special conditioner is needed for this.  I just used my trusty Suave Naturals.  Just use what ever you have on hand.  Once the conditioner mixture was applied, my hair was like butter.  The tangles slipped away with no problem.  It is important to note that I got my hair pretty saturated. Some people include oil with this, but I did not.  Do what works best for your hair.  Thanks to the curly girl method, I had very little shedding. 

This is a weeks worth of shedding which is drastically decreased since I have started this method.   As we all know less shedding means more retention.  I am on a hair growth journey.  I think I will start with bra strap length.  Next I washed and deep conditioned.  I did have a few strands during the washing process but not enough to note and collect.
After the wash with nothing on my hair the curls were poppin' I would say that I have a 4b texture so this is amazing with no products or manipulation.  I again sectioned my hair into 4 and began the wash and go.  I didn't use any particular method.  I just applied my trusty Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in and coconut oil that I got from Sam's.  The coconut oil is organic, but I didn't have any special reason for choosing it.  It was just
$15 for 60 fl oz
what they had.  I don't get bogged down with that kind of thing.  Scientifically, organic products are no different the those that are not organic.  They both provide the same nutritional value. Now, I understand the hazards of pesticides and things.  However, those things are still getting in your system because they are in the air.  I say that you do your best to eat right and live right and let God handle the rest. For the price this container was worth it.  Since I am also on a reduction of cost to be natural journey, this container should last me all year. Anyway, I just ran my fingers through my hair until the curls clumped.  Again, I don't do any particular method for this.  I am trying to use the "praying hands" method to apply my products (just wanted to see if it makes a difference) but there is no rhyme or reason to how I do my hair. I was really pleased with the results from this process.  My hair was not crunchy they way that it is with gel and pretty much lasted all week.  My crown is still a bit more frizzy that I would like, but with my renewed commitment to the curly girl method that will lessen.  Below you can see my hair as it progressed during the week.
1st morning (Monday) ~ Hair is still wet
1st day ~ after work; lots of shrinkage
Day 2 (Tuesday) ~ before fluffing

Day 3 (Wednesday)
Day 5 (Friday Morning) ~ Thursday was
rough.  I was really tired and fell asleep
early without protecting my hair and this is
 the result Friday morning. I had to fluff and
 put a band on my hair.  Lazy Natural
strikes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment